Posted: November 08, 2019
Compensation: Depends on Experience
The IT Business Analyst will provide technical and functional support to company departments and leadership through researching, advising, and implementing IT solutions to specific business performance needs. This role combines IT systems support and business metrics analysis to ensure IT systems are optimized for the achievement of business goals.
This position will closely collaborate with company leadership, team leads, and potentially vendors and customers to understand business processes; determine and build requirements for future software enhancements; answer user community questions concerning application functionality; and identify and provide solutions to software issues.
Among the skills and abilities essential for success in this role are: a strong understanding of common business metrics; extensive familiarity with front and back-end of business finance/analysis software; an independent, self-starting work style; comfort working with developers, product/project managers, quality assurance, and client services; and proven problem-solving abilities.
- Identify opportunities for improving business processes through information systems
- Builds relationships and collaborates with stakeholders to identify business needs, to gain consensus, to manage project expectations, and to ensure delivery of commitments
- Consults with Project Managers, subject matter experts (SMEs), technical staff, and stakeholders to identify, define, interpret, integrate, and document business needs and objectives, current operational procedures, problems, input and output requirements, and levels of systems access
- Lead and/or participate in requirement gathering and issue resolution meetings with technical and business resources. Define and document business requirements and functional specifications as needed.
- Performs risk management planning, risk identification, and mitigation.
- Ensure that issues are identified, communicated to appropriate business and technical staff and resolved in a timely manner.
- Develops, executes, monitors, and adjusts project plans and implementation strategy to meet the needs of the key stakeholders, and to ensure the project deliverables are on time, within budget, adheres to high quality standards, and meets customer/stakeholders’ expectations
- Tracks key milestones and costs and performs quality reviews to ensure project goals and objectives are met.
- Proactively identifies, resolves, and/or escalates risks, challenges, barriers, and issues to relevant stakeholders
- Work closely with internal business partners to document a functional understanding of the business use of applications and what processes have been developed against the data and functions associated with those applications. Keep documentation up to date on a regular basis.
- Identify and document data challenges that may exist
- As part of migrating legacy systems to the new platform, perform analysis on differences on current production output to new system output
- Assist in determining the best approach for tracking financial benefits associated with IT projects
- Perform selective project management functions on IT projects, as appropriate
- Researches, plans, gathers, and analyzes business and user requirements for projects.
- Interfaces with project subject matter experts to analyze and design solutions and to provide recommendations on deliverables.
- Develop unit and system test scripts, execute and validate with a high degree of accuracy and completeness. Be able to assist the business team with creation of business User Acceptance plans and system test plans.
- Assesses and analyzes processes and procedures to identify improvement opportunities
- Acts as a liaison between users and IT in the analysis, design, configuration, testing, and maintenance of case management systems to ensure optimal operational performance
Skills, Abilities, and Experience
- 4+ years of experience in analyzing business processes and implementing technical solutions
- Significant experience documenting large, complex software projects
- Significant experience with Excel (VLOOKUP, PIVOTS) for the purpose of driving metrics, analysis and analytics
- Experience with financial data (Reference Data, Pricing, Market Data)
- Experience with multiple database products
- Strong technical documentation skills
- Experience with relational database development process
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Experience in defining and documenting end user requirements
- Demonstrated ability to seek out existing or emerging industry practices when solving business problems
- Good time management skills with the ability to self-manage support/issue priorities
- Ability to prioritize work and approach tasks with a sense of urgency
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Must be detail oriented and exceptional in organization techniques
- Must be self-motivated, with ability to set and achieve goals, and set priorities of multiple tasks in order to meet deadlines
Education and Certification
- BA or BS in IT Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Business Administration, or related field; Master’s degree is preferred