Posted: March 18, 2020
Location: Metro Atlanta Area
Compensation: Depends on Experience
As part of the practice team, this position:
- Provides clinical assistance to providers
- Identifies, greets, transports and/or escorts patients making the patients feel welcomed and comfortable
- Takes vital signs (height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, respiration, temperature) and obtains patient history and medication list. Observes patient and documents and reports findings to licensed clinician and/or physician.
- Assists the nurse, physician, and/or other licensed clinician with the patient visit and care, which may include procedures such as:
- Preparing patient for visit including assistance with clothing and transferring to exam table/chair.
- Setting up trays and preparing equipment, instruments and materials for the nurse and/or physician.
- Acting as a chaperone and/or provides emotional support for the patient.
- Explaining procedures and reviewing patient instructions
- Obtains and labels specimens for transport.
- Assisting with wound care
- Giving injections
- Drawing blood
- Performing EKGs
- Performing finger stick blood sugar tests
- Assisting with other tests and procedures
- Assists providers in more advanced clinical procedures, depending on the practice.
- Enters orders, at the physicians direction (provided employee is RMA or a licensed clinician.)
- Cleans and prepares the exam room or other patient areas between patients, ensuring a clean, sanitized and welcoming environment.
- Sterilizes equipment.
- Maintains appropriate supplies and linen both in exam/patient areas and ensures adequate stock is maintained. Orders routine medical supplies. Monitors expiration dates and rotates inventory.
- Prepares, cleans and maintains equipment, addressing issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life.
- Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait time and improve patient satisfaction.
- Acts as liaison with patient assisting them in navigating their patient care:
- Screens providers’ phone calls and other messages/phone calls:
- Answers providers’ phone calls. Takes clear messages for providers or other office staff. Handles requests for information, including researching issue. Ensures that emergent messages are handled per practice protocols.
- Answers common, non-clinical/complex questions and escalates questions as appropriate.
- Provides general information regarding the practice within scope of responsibility.
- Documents and researches patient prescription refill requests and forwards to provider using appropriate office protocols.
- Communicates test results, either written or verbally, as directed by provider
- ???????Provides the physician with messages and other pertinent information, which may require research and/or pulling records. Researches, pulls records and/or forwards to provider as appropriate.
- Liaisons with patients and patient family members to assist them in navigating the scheduling of their patient care plan, as developed by the provider:
- Registers and web enables patients for portal access and coaches patients and family members on how to utilize the tool to optimize their care.
- Provides timely, courteous, informative and confidential insurance assistance for patients and their family members and assists patients in understanding their insurance.
- Educates patients about the practice’s referral policy and preauthorization requirements. Communicates with patients regarding the need for referral authorizations and coordinates with other practitioner offices when necessary.
- Schedules follow up appointments and/or provides information about recommended specialists.
- Schedules diagnostic and specialty appointments as directed by the provider or assists patients in navigating to specialists and/or testing appointments. Completes referrals and pre-authorizations per healthcare payer and practice protocols.
- Maintains provider appointment schedules and advises providers of changes throughout the day. May print patient schedules for upcoming day/days.
- Reviews, prepares and updates patient records with the dual purpose of preparing the provider for appointments/procedures and reviewing to ensure patient care plans/protocols are being followed
- Monitors outstanding or incomplete documentation by maintaining or generating patient lists/registries using the available tools and data and takes necessary steps to ensure completeness of all required documentation.
- Reviews, prepares and updates patient records
- Utilizes lists and data to implement systematic approaches to patient care follow up such as follow up reminders and information/educational mailings.
- Reviews patient records against quality measures and best practice indicators and advises providers of potential documentation and care gaps.
- Facilitates referral to other physicians and departments by completing the necessary forms and pre authorization/certification.
- Prepares medical records for scheduled appointments/procedure:
- Reviews for completeness before appointment and update as medical record as appropriate and record is in the approved order.
- Inserts the required forms per procedure and department protocol.
- Follows up with patients or specialists to ensure patient care plans since last appointment were followed and the results are available for the physician's review.
- Intervenes with administrative support to ensure the patient care plan is followed
- Follows up with provider and/or patient to ensure appointments/tests were completed as per the patient care plan.
- Confirms that lab and other ancillary tests are performed and results are documented in a manner that conforms with clinical reporting guidelines by utilizing the available tools and data. Conducts follow-up where information is found to be missing or incomplete.
- At pre-established intervals as determined by the best practice guidelines, confirms that lab and other ancillary tests are performed and results are documented in a manner that conforms with clinical reporting guidelines by utilizing the available tools and data. Conducts follow-up where information is found to be missing or incomplete.
- Assists with the maintenance of medical records:
- Files/scans miscellaneous loose reports and materials into medical records.
- For practices that use the service, pulls transcription reports when necessary and places properly in record. Requests stat and other Dictaphone/transcription requests and follows up to ensure timely completion. Escalates and communicates delays that are not within department norms and/or physician or patient care unit’s request
- Based on practice procedure may pull/print and file medical records for scheduled patients and for requests by providers and other practice staff.
- Distributes medical record materials in compliance with HIPPA, legal requirements, state and federal guidelines and practice/WPA policies and procedures which may include electronically via fax, interoffice delivery, mail, and priority mailing
- Provides back up or periodic administrative assistance to the practice as needed, including but not limited to:
- Answers providers’ phone calls and routes to appropriate person. Takes clear Messages, handles requests for information, including researching issue.
- Providing front desk coverage
- Greets patients and others timely and in a manner that is respectful and empathetic.
- Registers patients, verifies health insurance coverage and demographic information. Collects co-payments, issues receipts, and obtains signatures for necessary forms.
- Schedules patient appointments and collects pre-registration information at the time of scheduling. Reviews and verifies eligibility of insurance. Obtains referrals for specialty care.
- Provides check out desk coverage.
- Schedules follow up appointments and/or provides information about recommended specialists.
- Schedules diagnostic and specialty appointments as directed by the provider or assists patients in navigating to specialists and/or testing appointments. Completes referrals and preauthorizations per healthcare payer and practice protocols.
- Enters charges and reviews patient records for billing accuracy performing quality checks on ICD9 and CPT codes and other related information to help streamline the billing process per practice protocols.
- Following up with patients for appointment reminders and other issues.
- Scheduling appointments and coordinating referrals and preapprovals
- Filing and distributes records as necessary and in compliance with HIPPA, and policies and procedures.
- Receives and distributes mail per practice protocols.
- Functions as an effective team member, striving for optimum practice operations:
- Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait time and improve patient satisfaction. Monitors waiting rooms and advises patients of delays or escalates concerns.
- Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to practice policies and procedures.
- Communicates effectively with the team utilizing established handoff procedures. Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork.
- Minimizes preventable harm events and consistently executes the infection control protocols. Incorporates the Culture of Safety tools in daily practice, adhering to quality and safety guidelines and communicating near-miss or potential risks.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
- Functions effectively in patient crisis situations and utilizes emergency resources. Assists in preparation of patient for transport to alternative level of care.