Posted: May 07, 2019
Summary: The Philanthropy Manager is responsible for working with Company leadership and the VP of HR to implement the philanthropic vision and coordinate the strategic charitable giving strategies, policies, performance and reporting in alignment with business strategy.
The Philanthropy Manager develops relationships with non-profit partners. He/she manages and coordinates all related corporate giving (in-kind, financial and employee volunteerism) and day-to-day philanthropy efforts. This is a hands-on position that requires both strategic and tactical implementation of philanthropy initiatives.
The Philanthropy Manager is responsible for engaging and coordinating with individuals and/or organizations who request product donations and/or financial support for philanthropy related activities. He/she is also responsible for identifying potential partners for the future and communicating and developing relationships with existing corporate philanthropy partners. Once these partnerships are formalized, the Philanthropy Manager is responsible for interacting with program managers and executive leadership in these external organizations while serving as the ambassador.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: “Essential functions” are primary job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation made by the employer.
- Works with company leadership and the VP of HR to develop, implement and evaluate philanthropy program consistent with industry best practices and in support of Company / owner goals and objectives for corporate giving;
- Works with non-profit partners to create comprehensive giving strategies and identify needs and opportunities; Creates, obtains approval for and implements annual corporate giving strategic plan; Identifies new partnership opportunities and builds relationships;
- Develops and makes recommendations for charitable giving recognition strategies and tactical plans; Works with internal departments and external partners to develop and execute;
- Manages charitable giving budget and activities ensuring there is a direct correlation to the Company’s philanthropic mission priorities and/or corporate brand goals and objectives; Ensures program budget is managed effectively and within parameters established by leadership; Minimizes operational costs and maximizes charitable giving funds;
- Develops and documents policies and procedures to ensure consistent and compliant internal processes and program strategies related to financial contributions, product donations and employee volunteerism.
- Develops, executes and evaluates employee engagement programming designed to align employees with mission; Works with Human Resources to link philanthropic engagement to corporate citizenship;
- Represents within the community as an ambassador for our program through a variety of activities designed to develop relationships which will benefit the program now and in the future; Builds and enhances external relationships with community leaders, nonprofits and other key influencers. Implements and evaluates systems and processes to support program components and ensure they are operating with optimal efficiency; Recommends ongoing refinement to systems, processes and programs with a focus on continuous improvement;
- Develops and implements a comprehensive impact reporting model for core support and high impact contributions / investments made with strategic partners; Provides semi-annual report to Executive Leadership on impact;
- Measures and reports on statistics to assess effectiveness of philanthropic efforts in relation to goals and objectives; Prepares quarterly and annual reports on philanthropy activities;
- Communicates with internal and external contacts to coordinate the philanthropy review, approval and fulfillment process;
- Maintains documentation on all philanthropic efforts including requests, cost, correspondence and status; Collects donation letters and provide information to accounting to ensure tax deductions are taken;
- Researches and makes recommendations for best practices consistent with the implementation and ongoing management of a best-in-class philanthropy program;
- Develops program marketing plans in collaboration with internal departments; Works to integrate the brand story into Philanthropy programming and vice versa; Partners with internal stakeholders to communicate and deliver compelling charitable giving stories and assets (collateral, video, CSR report) across platforms designed to create external exposure for the corporate philanthropy program and corporate giving activities;
- Builds effective relationships with senior management and their teams, ensuring input, advocacy and partnership in developing and executing the Philanthropy strategy;
- Support senior executive community engagement opportunities/activities as they tie to our charitable giving program;
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned; and
- Protects company assets through the proper management of asset files and adherence to company policy about information security and management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Minimum 3+ years related experience / background working for a non-profit or private company developing and supporting a philanthropy program in a full or part time capacity and/or demonstrated experience working as a volunteer to support similar efforts in a non-profit or academic setting
- Undeniable passion for philanthropic endeavors; Demonstrated ability to think creatively, strategically and tactically with regard to charitable contribution programs and opportunities; Demonstrated commitment to work and ability to deliver;
- Demonstrated event management experience; Ability to create a plan, identify the tactical details, coordinate internal and external parties towards the plan and execute;
- Exceptional collaboration, communication and relationship building skills; Able to facilitate, manage and work effectively across disciplines and levels, internally and externally;
- Ability to deliver strong presentations, generate excitement, inspire action and rally the organization toward a common goal;
Strategic thinker with strong attention to detail and accuracy; Outstanding organizational and time management skills;
- Strong external engagement skills with the ability to build coalitions with stakeholders to leverage our programs and potentially “co-brand” initiatives with the right strategic partners;
- Confident leadership style, organizationally agile and resilient, flexible and adaptable to changing needs;
- Excellent writing skills including effective comprehension and communication;
- Results-oriented individual who brings integrity, professionalism, and the ability to drive alignment and execution;
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office 2010 - Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; Technically savvy and able to learn new software systems quickly;
- Active listening skills and ability to follow directions (hear, process and understand);
- Problem analysis and problem-solving skills; and
- Confident and decisive in stressful situations and tight time frames; Utilizes good judgment and demonstrates maturity, tact and diplomacy; Maintains confidences and utilizes the utmost in discretion.
- Bachelor’s degree required in a related field.